[Qgis-developer] installation of the qt_xx.qm files

Tom Elwertowski telwertowski at comcast.net
Thu Nov 29 05:21:58 EST 2007

Marco Hugentobler wrote:
> A question to the cmake Gurus:
>
> How can we install all the qt translation files (*.qm) from QTDIR/translations
> to the qgis i18 dir? They contain translations of the qt classes (e.g.
> QFileDialog)
>
> I think it is a better way than having the qt_xx.ts files in qgis svn. It was
> a problem that people updated the .ts files with the update_ts_files.sh
> script and like this, also the qgis strings have been written into qt_xx.ts
> files.

The qt_xx.ts files are in qgis svn because I needed to fix some Mac
bugs. Qt does string comparisons between QMenuBar strings and equivalent
strings in qgis_xx.ts. If the translated strings do not match, menus
such as About, Preferences and Quit do not appear in the correct
location on a Mac.

In some cases, the QMenuBar class is not translated in the Qt-provided
files. In other cases, the strings are translated differently. Since
QGIS translators use the same translation as Apple recommends, I have
modified some qt_xx.ts files to match what Apple and our translators use
rather than asking that our translators use odd translations just to
make Mac-only code inside QMenuBar work.

As an alternative, does it make sense to merge the Qt classes into
qgis_xx.ts? Is there some way to remerge the qt_xx.ts files for each Qt
release such that we pick up new strings without losing our modifications?

Tom