[Qgis-developer] rasterdataprovider roadmap?

Tim Sutton tim at linfiniti.com
Tue Dec 30 01:55:08 EST 2008

Hi

On Mon, 2008-12-29 at 23:18 +0100, G. Allegri wrote:
> In the past days I've begun "studying" qgis source code, to understand
> the raster subsystem.

Great!

> I've seen that it is mostly included in the
> "core/raster/" folder code, dedicated to the reading (and a certain
> manipulation) of gdal supported formats.

Correct. There is also providers/wms which is a raster provider.

> In fact the
> "rasterdataprovider", at this moment, is a wrap on gdal methods, and
> the only exported ability is "Identify".

There has been some debate about whether we should implement a provider
architechture or make use of GDAL entirely and expect that new format
support is provided via GDAL.

> Now that qgis 1.0.0 is out,
> are you considering to put the hands on the raster system, to
> update/improve it? Is the creation of a generic raster data provider
> system (like for vectors) in the main roadmap?

There is a fledgling wiki page here:

http://wiki.qgis.org/qgiswiki/Raster_Development_Page

That outlines plans. There are also many ideas we have tossed around
that arent in that page such as an api for performing kernel / moving
window analyses so that we can implement smooth / sharpen etc type
analytical functions.

Peter Ersts is our Raster maintainer and if you are interested I am sure
he would welcome your help / joining the raster team.

Best regards

Tim