[Qgis-developer] [gdal-dev] Open source API to convert raster to polygons?

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Thu Jan 10 07:30:23 EST 2008

Ricardo Scachetti Pereira wrote:

>     What I really need is some API or software library (preferably in C
> or C++) that I could use to convert ESRI Arc/Info Grids (the binary
> kind) to a Shapefile of polygons. If a library isn't available, a
> command line utility that I can call from C/C++ would suffice.

  There's some raster-to-vector conversion tools, but I don't know any
that produce shapefiles. However, if the output is in a sensible enough
format then it should be easy to convert from that to shapefile.

Try these:

  http://autotrace.sourceforge.net/

  http://delineate.sourceforge.net/screenshots.html

  and see if they can successfully trace your rasters.

  Mostly these tools will smooth out the jagged edges of raster areas -
is this what you want, or do you want your shapefiles to strictly follow
the raster cell boundaries? That's a different problem altogether, and
probably more easy to do...

Barry