[Qgis-developer] Interpolation plugin

Marco Hugentobler marco.hugentobler at karto.baug.ethz.ch
Tue Jul 8 03:14:20 EDT 2008

Hi all,

I wrote a plugin for spatial interpolation. The plugin is still in
experimental stage. However, it already is possible to produce raster layer
(ascii grid format by now) from a vector layer using linear triangulation or
inverse distance weighting. The plugin code is here:

http://karlinapp.ethz.ch/interpolation_plugin.tgz

To compile, unpack in src/plugins directory and add 'interpolation' to the
first line in src/plugins/CMakeList.txt:

 SUBDIRS (copyright_label delimited_text grid_maker north_arrow scale_bar
interpolation)

The code for triangular interpolation originates from my phd several years
ago. There are some capabilities that are provided by this code which are not
accessible through the plugin GUI yet:
- cubic triangular interpolation (clough-tocher methode or coons patch)
- modify the delaunay triangulation by swapping edges
- mark input data as constrained triangle edges or breaklines

The interpolation plugin is generic enough to support other type of
interpolation methods. If you want to see your favorite interpolation method
in QGIS, all you have to do is to provide a subclass of QgsInterpolator and a
subclass of QgsInterpolatorDialog that takes the parameter for the
interpolation method.

Regards,
Marco

--