[Qgis-developer] Wrote a FindByAttribute python plugin

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 06:40:05 EST 2008

On Wed, Mar 5, 2008 at 9:30 PM, David A. Riggs <david.a.riggs at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 7:41 AM, Martin Dobias <wonder.sk at gmail.com> wrote:
>  >
>  >  Here's the plugin repository located:
>  >  http://pyqgis.spatialserver.net/
>  >
>  >  You can register and upload the plugin there. There are also packaging
>  >  guidelines how to create the package for your plugin.
>  >

>  Do these plugins go through any sort of inspection or quality control
>  before being "accepted" to the plugin repository?
>
>  Can I be sure that installing FooPlugin from the official plugin
>  repository won't eat all my data, kick my cat, and then leave the
>  toilet seat up (or at least not blow up at runtime)?

Yes, those python plugins can do everything you've written above and
even more scary things. We don't have resources to check the plugins
(and check their updated versions etc.) You either trust the author
and install the plugin or you don't...

>  Does it make sense to either display a "caveat emptor" message, or to
>  make the official repository contain only tested and polished plugins?

It makes sense to put there a caution when installing new plugins that
the plugins can make you harm. Feel free to add a ticket for this
enhancement in Trac.

Regards
Martin