[Qgis-developer] 2 new plugins... very alpha

Aaron Racicot aaronr at z-pulley.com
Tue Feb 3 17:13:25 EST 2009

Hey folks,

I got an itch the last couple of days to play with some plugin ideas that I
have been thinking about.  Neither is complete, but more of a proof of
concept.  I would love some folks to try them out and let me know if they
work for you and if you have any initial thoughts on future direction for
them.

1) RefMap - This is a plugin that is utilizing WebKit within QT (version
4.4+) to display web maps from (currently) google, OSM, (and potentially in
the future) MS Virtual Earth, Yahoo, etc.  The interesting thing is that I
have tied events from the webkit browser (JS actions) to PyQt methods, and
PyQt methods into injected JS.  Basically you can do things like pan a web
map and have the qgis canvas track, and pan the qgis canvas and have the web
map track.

The gui contains a "configuration" button and corresponding dialog, but
nothing is really hooked up there yet.  Projections are expected to be in
epsg 4326 (WGS84 Lat Lon) for the data layers in qgis. there is no
on-the-fly reprojection yet.  While the web map and qgis canvas will track
each other, the zoom levels are not tracking yet. so you have to manually
zoom each of the maps.  Again this is just a prototype.  You will need qgis
1.0+ built with QT/PyQt 4.4+ for things to work.

2) MirrorMap - This is a plugin to split the map canvas area into two
distinct map canvas's. the original map canvas on the left and a new map
canvas on the right.  When you launch this tool you will see a small pop-up
dialog with buttons to load a vector or raster layer, remove the mirror
canvas, or close the dialog.  This dialog is tied to the right hand canvas.
Layers added to that canvas intentionally do not show up in the main legend
and the user currently has no way to change preferences of the layer in the
right panel.

Like the RefMap plugin, there are no reprojection going on, so layers in the
left and right panel need to be in the same projection.  The left panel (the
main canvas) can pan and zoom like normal and the right panel canvas will
track.

One note is that I am still playing with getting the resizing of the panels
to behave, so there is a side effect that once you click the plugin button
to get the dialog, the main window area where the canvas is gets a
"minimumsize" set to the current size.  From that point on (even after going
back to one canvas) the window will not resize smaller until qgis is started
again.  Annoying, but not a show stopper and I will try to fix that asap.

So, I would love to get some feedback on how these work, if they show
promise, or make you think "ah, it would be great if we could do xxxx with
this plugin".

My repo is at:

http://qgisplugins.z-pulley.com/

Thanks for testing!