[Qgis-developer] proxys, WMS and plugin installer

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Tue Jan 6 09:00:53 EST 2009

2009/1/6 Marco Hugentobler <marco.hugentobler at karto.baug.ethz.ch>:
> Hi QGIS devs
>
> I'm a bit lost in the tickets and discussions about proxys. What is the
> current state of proxy handling?

 Here at work I have to use a web caching proxy to get web sites
off-campus. All port 80 access is restricted. No username or password
is needed.

 Currently WMS doesn't work even though I have set the proxy host and
port in the settings dialog. When I 'connect' to a WMS server in the
add layer dialog I get "Could not understand the response.  The wms
provider said:" and it apparently said nothing. On the console I see:

Warning: UNEXPECTED RESPONSE: [HTTP/1.0 403 Forbidden
server: squid/2.6.STABLE22
date: Tue, 06 Jan 2009 11:26:59 GMT
content-type: text/html
content-length: 1079
expires: Tue, 06 Jan 2009 11:26:59 GMT
x-squid-error: ERR_ACCESS_DENIED 0
x-cache: MISS from wwwcache.lancs.ac.uk
x-cache-lookup: NONE from wwwcache.lancs.ac.uk:8080
via: 1.0 wwwcache0.lancs.ac.uk:8080 (squid/2.6.STABLE22)
proxy-connection: close

 (where wwwcache.lancs.ac.uk is our proxy and 8080 is the port).

 Also currently the plugin installer doesn't work either - connections
to the repositories fail, even the one on-campus which shouldn't need
to use the proxy at all. I get similar console error when I try.

 I'm happy to test people's proxy tweaking, but at the moment I'm not
set up to compile Qgis, so Linux and Windows binaries will have to do.

Barry