[Qgis-developer] S57 map files

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Jan 19 10:44:37 EST 2009

Florian El Ahdab wrote:
> So here are my questions:
> - has anyone ever worked with S57 and OGR and/or Qgis?
> - I believe Qgis doesn't use the S57 sublayers and that's why nothing
> gets displayed. Is there any chance that I am right? If I am right, I
> would like to help with the implementation for this kind of problem. Can
> anyone in the dev team give me directions on where to begin (I have
> spent some time in the source and API of both Qgis and GDAL and feel I
> can contribute here...)

Florian,

I *think* that the QGIS OGR vector layer only loads the first layer of
a multi layer dataset.  For S-57 this is usually the DSID layer (dataset id)
which has no interesting geographical features so nothing shows up.

I believe the correct solution is for QGIS to eventually support layer
selection  during loads from multi-layer OGR datasources.  I'm not sure if
there is working going on in this regard or not.

In the meantime, you could use ogr2ogr to convert desired layers into
shapefiles or some other useful intermediate format, and load those in
QGIS.

If my understanding of the situation is correct, I do consider this a
very significant weakness of QGIS and well worth correcting.

Best regards,