[Qgis-developer] python plugins development and setWhatsThis

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 07:59:08 EST 2009

Hi Maxim

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 4:05 AM, Maxim Dubinin <sim at gis-lab.info> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm scribbling down in an attempt to teach myself a little
> python plugins building and encountered several things, that I'm not
> getting right so hope you can help me out. Those should be really easy
> questions to answer:
>
> 1. docs
> Looking for something ready I've encountered this [1], which is quite
> outdated, as using old API (getMainWindow and such). The same problem
> is with [2], which I can fix if there are no objections. But before, should we save it
> as "before QGIS 1.0" version?

Right, the docs haven't been updated so far. Please go ahead and fix
the old information. You can put there a warning stating that the
information is valid for QGIS 1.0. I think saving pre-1.0 version is
not needed.

> 2. self.action.setWhatsThis("Configuration for test plugin")
> Seems like setWhatsThis is not working for Python plugins, is it
> so? I failed to find any changes regarding setWhatsThis.

>From my brief test setting setWhatsThis works (action.whatsThis()
returns correct value). I just didn't find a way how to access this
"what's this" info in main window. Maybe you want to use
action.setStatusTip() ?

Martin