[Qgis-developer] Support for SpatiaLite?

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 11:21:18 EST 2009

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 12:25 PM, Benjamin Ducke
<benjamin.ducke at oxfordarch.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I was wondering how hard it might be to adapt the PostGIS manager plugin
> so that it will also support SpatiaLite:
>
> http://www.gaia-gis.it/spatialite/

I think the port might be relatively simple. PostGIS manager uses
psycopg2 for postgresql access. It implements Python DB-API v2.0 so
replacing it with other db driver should need minimal effort. All SQL
queries are implemented in one file (postgis_utils.py), one just has
to modify database inspection queries because they are using catalogs
specific to postgresql (information_schema doesn't contain all needed
info).

> The cool thing about SpatiaLite support would be to have a single-file
> data format that is at least as convenient as Shapefiles, but without
> those constraints on file size, attribute table fields, etc.

Yes. One then just needs to implement support for it in QGIS itself...
or does OGR already support spatialite?

Regards
Martin