[Qgis-developer] Mac build missing QtWebKit.framework

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Fri Jan 30 14:22:25 EST 2009

On Jan 30, 2009, at 12:43 PM, Andreas Neumann wrote:

> right - size is an issue - how about a separate install?

Since they are bundled in the OSX application, that would be tricky.
An actual installer would be needed to put the files inside the app
package, wherever a user chooses to install Qgis (which is possible).
But *adding* to an application binary on OSX isn't quite the proper
way to extend an app.

If it's something that would be used a lot, I'd say bundle it and
don't worry about the size.

> The other question is: Webkit is present on every mac anyway - can
> we somehow re-use this webkit and let qt reference/re-use this
> already installed webkit somehow?
>
> I don't know if this is possible ...

qtWebKit is linked to the webkit framework, so I assume it already
makes use of it.  Though the large size makes me wonder.  And
probably, QtWebkit on Windows and Linux needs webkit binaries to
work.  Windows should have binaries available, since there is a
Windows Safari.  The source is available to build a webkit on linux,
but I don't know how prevalent it is.

> Andreas
>
> William Kyngesburye wrote:
>> Ah, that was intentional, because Qgis doesn't use it.  There was a
>> similar issue with someone needing some Qt sql plugins (still
>> haven't figured that out).
>>
>> Odd that it worked in preview 2, because I didn't include it in
>> that either.  And it doesn't look like Tom's all-in-one binary
>> includes it.
>>
>> I'm hesitatant to include it.  My main consideration is size -
>> QtWebKit adds a whopping 25MB to Qgis (almost a quarter of its
>> current size).  hmmm...
>>
>> I'll let my brain ponder this...  I'm a little scattered right now
>> between GRASS and Qgis issues...

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"History is an illusion caused by the passage of time, and time is an
illusion caused by the passage of history."

- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy