[Qgis-developer] New Postgis Geoprocessing Plugin

Mauricio de Paulo mauricio.dev at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 01:31:59 EST 2009

Hi developers,

I'm working in a new plugin and I'd like to hear what you guys think
about it's usability.

The idea for this plugin is to create an environment for new tools using
postgis. It basically sets a user interface for predefined queries that
the user set in his xml file.

In other words: the user sets a query in the XML file that holds all
queries. When the plugin is loaded it reads the XML file, and generate
menu items for each tool. When the tool is called, the plugin read what
the user set as parameters for that tool and draw the user interface
asking for that parameters. When the user is done, press ok and the
query start to run on the database.

It started with the need to redo many queries like "discover which
cities touch the polygon stored in that table and return their names".
So I decided to make a plugin to store these queries in a xml file.

For the later development I aim to create a GUI to set the XML (Query
Designer) and the plugin should list available tables and connections in
comboboxes.

At the moment I just have the postgis connection using QtSql and the gui
automated building . I still need to read the XML and create the menu
entries so it's still a little far from a working copy. I attached the
auto gui python script in the mail so anyone interested could use it.
I've found myself looking for something that could create a gui from a
simple list of label/boxtype for a long time.

And thanks for the guy who wrote that plugin builder (I never remember
the name). It's REALLY usefull.

Well, I wrote to hear what you think about it.
Thanks for reading,
Maurício de Paulo