[Qgis-developer] Launchpad download stats script

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Fri Dec 10 21:35:36 EST 2010

Question came up today of how many QGIS users are there. Since the
downloads happen from at least 4-5 major sites
(kyngchaos,osgeo4w,launchpad,elgis,qgis.org) of which only one is
directly a QGIS server the numbers are obviously short.

Doing some digging there's a new api addition for launchpad that lets
you get the data (soon to show up on the web interface too). The stats
aren't quite there yet, pending full web log scans on launchpad's side
but I wrote script this afternooon that is ready to start pulling the
data as soon as it's there. Example csv output is up to, just with
obviously wrong numbers.

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~wildintellect/+junk/launchpadapi-examples/files

Inspiration was from this ticket
https://bugs.launchpad.net/soyuz/+bug/139855

Just thought this might be of use to others. QGIS team, Tim and I talked
about working this python script into the Django site so we can list the
number of Ubuntu downloads anytime we want and aggregate it with other
stats we have.

Thanks,
Alex