[Qgis-developer] QGIS for winXP

Carson Farmer carson.farmer at gmail.com
Mon Nov 22 11:02:07 EST 2010

> Hi Muhammad, I have the same problems and I wrote many times to this list
> but I have not received good answers. When there are problems, tutorials
> don`t work and we need help from the community.
I am sorry to hear that you have had problems getting help from the
community, normally the QGIS devs and users are quite ready and
willing to provide help, and are generally much more friendly than
most mailing lists. They do however require a minimal level of help
from you (the poster) as well:

In Hasan's case, I think we'll probably need more information about
the problem that he is having before we'll be able to help him. Most
developers are busy people, and without a reproducible example or test
case to work with, we are unlikely to be able to help during the
limited spare time that we have. Things to think about when asking
questions are: What is your operating system (obviously in this case
it is Win XP), What versions of the various bits of software are you
running (in this case Muhammad has provided this information already),
and what *exactly* is the problem that you are experiencing. It is not
clear from the original email what the problem is. Is the plugin that
you are having trouble with one of your own, or is it one of the many
plugins available via the plugin installer? It sounds like it is one
of your own plugins, in which case, what exactly is the error message
that you are getting when trying to load it in QGIS? Have you followed
the tutorials provided for building PyQGIS plugins? When does the
error occur (during QGIS startup, when trying to activate the plugin,
during execution of plugin code)?

If you would like a complete and 'good' answer, then you'll have to
provide us with more information, and 'good' examples of your problem.
If you post a snippet of code that seems to be giving you issues, then
devs and other users are more likely to to able to help (and want to
help), because they can simply fire up their QGIS, and paste some code
into the Python console or similar. Help us help you!

Regards,

Carson

--
Carson J. Q. Farmer