[Qgis-developer] GSoC proposal: DBManager

Ricardo Filipe Soares Garcia da ricardo.garcia.silva at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 16:09:19 EDT 2011

Hi Guiseppe

I think it is great that you're willing to develop the Database manager idea :)

Me and Luiz Motta have been collaborating on the customDBQuery plugin,
which also allows for loading of spatial queries on the map canvas. It
takes a more minimalist approach than the other plugins, requiring
hand typing of the SQL commands, but it works with postgis and
spatialite. In fact you can't call it a manager at all. Still, I think
your suggestion is way better ;)

Codewise, I think that using the geoalchemy project[1] is probably a
great starting point in order to achieve specific DBMS independence.
It already has support for postgis, spatialite, mysql, oracle, and
MSSQL Server 2008. I have been wanting to get into it myself, but I'm
still learning sqlalchemy ;)

The code for the customDBQuery plugin is hosted at the new
hub.qgis.org, if you'd care to take a look at it.

As for suggestions, in addition to what you mentioned, I guess the
only comment I'd add is to try and keep the feature list to the more
common tasks for GIS users, as it is probably quite an effort to
develop a full and robust DB manager for lots of different backends.
Anyway, I support your proposal 100%.

[1] - http://www.geoalchemy.org/