[Qgis-developer] GSoC proposal: DBManager

Tim Sutton lists at linfiniti.com
Wed Apr 6 01:56:59 EDT 2011

Hi Guiseppe

8<--------snip----------------

>> Proposal.
>> My aim is to merge both 3 plugins together and create the DB_manager plugin.
>>
>> First and the most important requirement, the DB_manager plugin *must* be
>> easily
>> expandable to manage different kind of databases (e.g. mysql, ...).
>> I didn't look ahead when I forked PG_manager, but I want to correct my
>> mistakes.
>>
>> Second, it should permit an easy management of databases, running common
>> tasks
>> as create/alter/delete tables, retrieve infos about tables, run queries, ...
>> .
>> Those are implemented in PG/SL_manager yet, but I have to do some changes to
>> make them more general than they are.
>>
>> Third, DB_manager should allow to load tables as layer on the QGis canvas
>> and,
>> on the contrary, import layers from the canvas into the db.
>>
>> What is your opinion? Did I miss something?
>> What other features would you like to see? And what other plugins (if any)
>> would it be
>> good to integrate in?
>>
>> Thanks for your comments.

What about having some kind of plugin architecture (I know a plugin
with plugins is probably a bit meta!) so that other DBMS backends can
easily use your manager? I'm thinking that other backends like
SQLAnywhere could easily also benifit from your work just by
implementing a small stub for your plugin api....

I think you GSOC proposal would make a fantastic addition to QGIS and
I wish you all success with your proposal.

Regards

Tim

>> --
>> Giuseppe Sucameli