[Qgis-developer] The optimal size for SVG symbols

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Thu Jul 7 00:11:05 EDT 2011

Hi Andrea,

There is no "expected size" of your SVG document. I would recommend
using a square size for your document.

Creating seamless patterns in SVG can be hard. The hard part is to make
sure that the tiles can repeat and one cannot see the tile borders.

Here is a small tutorial on how to create SVG patterns in Inkscape:
http://ffaat.pointclark.net/blog/archives/143-Creating-and-Adding-Custom-Patterns-to-Inkscape.html

I will later see at my workplace if I can find a pattern similar to what
you want.

For diagonal patterns I would recommend to create straight horizontal or
vertical lines and then set the pattern rotation. It is easier to create.

Note that in trunk there is now a new feature that allows you to
overwrite colors and other settings to re-use the same patterns for
different colors. See Sourcepole blog: http://www.sourcepole.ch/

Andreas