[Qgis-developer] Qwt now required?

Dave Johansen davejohansen at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 10:47:38 EDT 2011

On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 3:31 AM, Tim Sutton <lists at linfiniti.com> wrote:

> Hi Dave
>

> 8<------------------snip----------------------
> .
> >
> > In the release announcement of 1.6 ( http://blog.qgis.org/node/146 ), it
> > states "Replaced raster histogram implementation with one based on Qwt",
> so
> > I'm guessing that that might be where the dependence came from. It's kind
> of
> > unfortunate that it became a required dependence for such a small
> addition,
> > but apparently that's the case and I'll just have to get it installed on
> all
> > my machines before upgrading to 1.7.
> >

> Agreed but there was also a lot of interest for it to be included by
> default because a lot of plugin writers are using it. My apologies for
> the hassle. If you dont need it we could probably ifdef out the
> related bits out and make qgis build without it.

I didn't realize it was used by so many plugins. I noticed only the single
use of it in the source code and wondered why that warranted it's inclusion,
but the plugin thing makes sense.

> That said are you not using just QGIS core and gui classes in your Qt
> app then? I'll need to check but we should not need to link those to
> Qwt, just the app.

I am just using QGIS core, but is there a way to build just the libraries
and not the app itself?

One potential issue with this is that I know that with QGIS 1.0 the
measuring tool didn't work properly in my embedded app unless the QGIS app
had been run on the machine. I'm not sure what caused this or if it has been
resolved, but that could be one reason I would need the app as well.

Thanks,
Dave