[Qgis-developer] Qwt now required?

Tim Sutton lists at linfiniti.com
Thu Jul 14 11:16:17 EDT 2011

Hi

On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 4:47 PM, Dave Johansen <davejohansen at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 3:31 AM, Tim Sutton <lists at linfiniti.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Dave
>>

>> 8<------------------snip----------------------
>> .
>> >
>> > In the release announcement of 1.6 ( http://blog.qgis.org/node/146 ), it
>> > states "Replaced raster histogram implementation with one based on Qwt",
>> > so
>> > I'm guessing that that might be where the dependence came from. It's
>> > kind of
>> > unfortunate that it became a required dependence for such a small
>> > addition,
>> > but apparently that's the case and I'll just have to get it installed on
>> > all
>> > my machines before upgrading to 1.7.
>> >

>> Agreed but there was also a lot of interest for it to be included by
>> default because a lot of plugin writers are using it. My apologies for
>> the hassle. If you dont need it we could probably ifdef out the
>> related bits out and make qgis build without it.
>
> I didn't realize it was used by so many plugins. I noticed only the single
> use of it in the source code and wondered why that warranted it's inclusion,
> but the plugin thing makes sense.
>

>> That said are you not using just QGIS core and gui classes in your Qt
>> app then? I'll need to check but we should not need to link those to
>> Qwt, just the app.
>
> I am just using QGIS core, but is there a way to build just the libraries
> and not the app itself?

Not currently though I guess it wouldnt be too hard to do. If you are
using packages You should be able to install just libqgis and then
your custom app.

> One potential issue with this is that I know that with QGIS 1.0 the
> measuring tool didn't work properly in my embedded app unless the QGIS app
> had been run on the machine. I'm not sure what caused this or if it has been
> resolved, but that could be one reason I would need the app as well.

You probably need to write the ellipsoid etc options that are normally
written by qgsoptions.cpp or similar. If you look at the measure
maptools you will probably see they use sensible defaults for this. So
just let your app use similar defaults and you should be set.

Regards

Tim

> Thanks,
> Dave