[Qgis-developer] Re: MeteoIO

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Mon Jun 27 17:06:00 EDT 2011

Hi Mathias,

The solar irradiance example and the interpolation algorithms sound like
interesting additions to QGIS.

I also like the idea as a possibility to make QGIS more attractive to
scientists (next to the more common GIS tasks like data acquisition, map
publishing, simple analysis). It would help QGIS to gain foothold in
certain scientific communities.

Note, that I am not a developer (just a user) and cannot judge the
technical consequences and maintenance issues that come with such a code
addition. It would be important that a community would evolve around
this library and related tools/algorithms for support and maintenance.

There are also related efforts around SAGA and GRASS that may have some
overlaps with the envisaged goals of your library/tools - but it may be
that your code would be faster/more optimized for certain tasks?

Andreas

PS: Mathias: we use QGIS along with Postgis, gdal/ogr and others in the
administration of the City of Uster. We use it in a mix with other
commercial products. See our case study at
http://www.qgis.org/en/community/qgis-case-studies/uster-switzerland.html -
the goal is to move and more and more projects to the OS GIS platform
over time as the tools evolve. We also help to test and finance certain
improvements/new features along with other public administrations.