[Qgis-developer] Copy of QGIS-NaturalEarth-Example.qgs, etc. - Sample files for QGIS (Map) Server.

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Wed Jun 29 21:38:17 EDT 2011

No you don't need postgres, we happen to duplicate the data into a
postgis copy as well as the native shp.

Basically the script makes a folder called:
/usr/local/share/data/natural_earth

Into that folder the various selected layer are downloaded from:
BASE_URL="http://www.naturalearthdata.com"

LAYERS="
cultural/$SCALE-populated-places-simple
cultural/$SCALE-admin-0-countries
cultural/$SCALE-admin-1-states-provinces-shp
cultural/$SCALE-urban-area
physical/$SCALE-geography-regions-polys
physical/$SCALE-geography-regions-points
physical/$SCALE-geography-regions-elevation-points
physical/$SCALE-geography-marine-polys
physical/$SCALE-land
physical/$SCALE-ocean
physical/$SCALE-lakes
physical/$SCALE-rivers-lake-centerlines
"

Where scale in this case is 10m.
To put an example together:
http://www.naturalearthdata.com/cultural/10m/10m-populated-places-simple.zip

You really only need about line 57-131, plus a couple of the variables
set at the top.

You could also probably get away with just looking at the example file
and seeing which layers it wants and just download those directly from
the Natural Earth website.

Thanks,
Alex