[Qgis-developer] release of 1.7

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Tue May 31 18:32:08 EDT 2011

On 05/31/2011 02:07 PM, Jürgen E. Fischer wrote:
> Hi Marco,
>
> On Tue, 31. May 2011 at 16:35:19 +0200, Marco Hugentobler wrote:
>> I'm in favour of releasing 1.7 now. The release was already planned for March
>> and was shifted then. There will always be a large number of bugs in the
>> queue, even with donations. Maybe we even discover more of them in a beta
>> version :-)
>
> I'm also in favor of releasing 1.7 as is - we decided what to release when we
> branched and I don't see a reason to revert that.
>
> Moreover I believe most of the tickets tagged as "Must Fix For Release" aren't
> actually blockers - or were introduced with 1.7.  So that's probably just
> misleading.
>

> Jürgen

I think it's fine to release it as is but do think we should call it
Beta, Testing or something similar. We should also consider a doing bug
fix only release (no new features), not a backport of fixes either and
try to steer developers towards that goal for the next couple of months.
This bug fix release could be the last release of the 1.x series if it's
really stable.

In the future maybe once every X (2-3, or .5-1 a year) releases we could
do a bug fix/bug hunt release where we just take time to clean up. If
it's just a couple of months of bug hunting with very little other
changes it should be easy to roll the release more quickly than usual.

Just some ideas...

Thanks,
Alex