[Qgis-developer] Rule based labeling ideas

Nathan Woodrow madmanwoo at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 09:25:14 EDT 2011

Hi all,

I was playing around with some uDig, SLD and MapServer today and how they
handle labeling features and I noticed that they do labels per class (per
symbol in our case) and I remember seeing that rule based labeling was on
the To-Talk-About list for the next hackfest and thought I would throw a
few ideas about how I thought we could do it.

I have written a few details about my ideas here
http://www.qgis.org/wiki/RuleBasedLabelingIdeas

Would love to hear other peoples thoughts on this.

My motivation for thinking this would be good is that it's a pretty
powerful feature in SLD and MapServer but all the UIs that I have seen to
handle defining the labels per feature class/symbol are very below par IMO.

- Nathan
http://woostuff.wordpress.com/