[Qgis-developer] Raster resampler branch

Tim Sutton lists at linfiniti.com
Thu Apr 5 18:45:55 EDT 2012

Hi Marco

On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 4:23 PM, Marco Hugentobler
<marco.hugentobler at sourcepole.ch> wrote:
> Hi devs / power users
>
> Today, I've uploaded a lot of changes to the raster_resampler branch on
> github ( https://github.com/qgis/Quantum-GIS/tree/raster_resampler ).
> Compared to the previous version (which already provided resampling
> capabilities and code refactoring into raster renderer classes), there is
> now quite a lot of GUI refactoring. The style tab of the raster properties
> dialog now contains an embedded renderer dialog for the current renderer
> type (similar to how it is in the vector props. dialog). Furthermore, it is
> now possible to dynamically add new raster renderers and corresponding
> dialogs.
>
> I'm interested in feedback and like to discuss the raster changes also in
> Lyon. The user interface could be improved for sure and there will most
> likely be some new bugs. If you find one, please fill a ticket and assign it
> to me.
> Note that the branch also has a number of advantages:
> - Raster look much nicer with resampling
> - The raster banding issue when printing transparent layers is solved
> - Fixes problem with raster transparency band that was not saved in master
> - Efficiency has been improved for some common cases (e.g. faster lookup
> when rendering paletted rasters)
> - It is now easier to make changes in the raster layer class since most of
> the symbology and rendering related code is moved out of QgsRasterLayer.

I've done a bit of testing with this it seems to be working well. Some comments:

- the user interface needs to be sorted out for the symbology tab -
the load button sits too far from the min/max controls. Ultimatelye I
think we need to completely rethink the style ui - maybe using a
property list would be better....
- Some of the settings are not intuitive - its not obvious how you
return to the default behaviour for the large/small scale combos
- Its also not obvious what the threshold is where the large kicks in
over the small scale resampling approach
- the number spin box - its not obvious what it is for

Other than those issues it was working well for me though I still need
to test it with some of my larger datasets.

> The next thing I'm planning to make in the branch is to add project file
> transformations. The new xml format is different than the old one, so old
> symbology settings won't load properly from project file right now.

Yes that would be good!

Regards

Tim

> Regards,
> Marco
>
> --
> Dr. Marco Hugentobler
> Sourcepole -  Linux&  Open Source Solutions
> Churerstrasse 22, CH-8808 Pfäffikon SZ, Switzerland
> marco.hugentobler at sourcepole.ch http://www.sourcepole.ch
> Technical Advisor QGIS Project Steering Committee

 * QGIS programming and support services
 * FOSS Consulting Services
Skype: timlinux
Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net