[Qgis-developer] Qt image formats issue in Mac release

Larry Shaffer larrys at dakotacarto.com
Mon Apr 16 06:44:31 EDT 2012

Hi William,

On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 3:26 PM, William Kyngesburye
<woklist at kyngchaos.com>wrote:

> On Apr 15, 2012, at 4:01 PM, Larry Shaffer wrote:
>
> > Using the following shell commands, I quickly got GIF support patched
> into QGIS.app [1]. I also see uses for libqico.dylib, libqsvg.dylib and
> libqtiff.dylib for plugin developers. It looks like 'Quantum-GIS / mac /
> cmake / 1qt.cmake.in' could be readily updated to include some or all of
> the Qt image formats. Total size for all image formats is ~ 1.2 MB on disk.
> >
> > Is there a reason only libqjpeg.dylib is included in releases? Are there
> any formats that might (or are known to) cause issues, if bundled with Mac
> releases?
> >
> Only jpeg is included because it was needed by something in QGIS.  If
> external plugins can and will make use of the other Qt image plugins, I can
> add them.

Thanks for the clarification. I edited '1qt.cmake.in' in my copy of the
master branch to bundle all of the Qt image formats into a .app build [0].
It builds fine, with correct referencing to the bundled Qt frameworks.

Now, my help browser loads favicons and gifs [1], as well as rendering SVG
[2]. I ran into an issue where the browser would crash master whenever
there was an external website trying to load (not related to image
formats). So, I copied the extra image format .dylibs over to my local copy
of your 1.7.4 install, where they worked well, with no crashes from the
browser.

At only ~1.2 MB on disk, 400 KB compressed, is there any reason not to
include all of the image formats?

Regards,

Larry Shaffer
Dakota Cartography