[Qgis-developer] GSoC ideas

Anne Ghisla a.ghisla at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 12:15:24 EST 2012

On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 17:30:23 +0100
Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it> wrote:

> Il 21/02/2012 16:03, Alexander Bruy ha scritto:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Google Summer of Code 2012 is announced few weeks ago and as far as
> > I know OSGeo will participate. Hope QGIS will participate too. I
> > started wiki page for collecting ideas [0]
> >
> > Maybe we should announce also to the user list asking for ideas too
> >
> > [0] http://hub.qgis.org/wiki/quantum-gis/Google_Summer_of_Code_2012

> Thanks Alex. One first thing we have to decide is whether to
> participate within the OSGeo framework. This seems a natural choice,
> but there are possible shortcomings:

Hello all,

I wish to see QGIS participate this year, after many successful
editions!

Let me add some more elements for the decision:

> - it is possible that we'll have more chances (an higher number of
> accepted projects) running alone, due to Google priorities

It is also possible that QGIS as separate organisation won't get
accepted, thus will have no students, whereas under OSGeo umbrella, one
or two students are almost certain. Well, also OSGeo could not get
accepted, but as umbrella organisations are especially welcome in
participate and OSGeo participated successfully in former editions, it
is less likely than QGIS not getting accepted.

> - less motivation by mentors (they do not receive any financial
> incentive, that goes to OSGeo instead).

The payment for mentors in this edition of Summer of Code will be
discussed shortly. It has been a point of debate in past editions, and I
will see what can be done about it for this year.

Of course as a separate organisation QGIS will need a organisation
administrator and will be required to complete some bureaucracy on its
own. See
http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2012/faqs#mentoring_apply
http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2012/org_admin_agreement

> Opinions?

QGIS is fully entitled to participate to GSoC, alone or with OSGeo.
If you look for more information about org administration, feel free to
ask me.

All the best,

Anne
--