[Qgis-developer] GSoC ideas

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 16:05:46 EST 2012

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 5:30 PM, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it> wrote:

> Thanks Alex. One first thing we have to decide is whether to participate
> within the OSGeo framework. This seems a natural choice, but there are
> possible shortcomings:
> - it is possible that we'll have more chances (an higher number of accepted
> projects) running alone, due to Google priorities

I think that QGIS would not be accepted alone (it already got rejected
few years ago). Also participating with OSGeo offloads some program
administration work.

> - less motivation by mentors (they do not receive any financial incentive,
> that goes to OSGeo instead).

I hope that is something that can still be discussed within OSGeo. I
would be much happier if destination of most of the money would go to
participating project - e.g. 20% for OSGeo and the rest for QGIS
sounds like a sensible choice.

Martin