[Qgis-developer] GSOC pitch

aruntheguy at gmail.com aruntheguy at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 02:43:48 EDT 2012

Hello all,

I have been working with QGIS development for quiet sometime, and I hope
most of you know me for doing the Heatmap plugin.

I think its time I announce I am pitching for GSOC this year. I have gone
through the ideas in the ideas[1] page and have been performing some
analysis myself and documenting[2] them to identify the areas where
improvement could be done. Though there are many areas where functionality
could be improved, I think increasing the analytical ability of the package
packs more power.

A good step as discussed earlier[3] is to convert the fTools plugin to C++
and expand the API and improve the scriptability. Along the same lines is
the Processing Framework[4] which would provide the interface between QGIS
and various other external tools and libraries. This again is still in
Python. Expanding the framework would be good, but again I think,
converting it to the native language (C++) would make it more useful.

Both of these two would help in improve the analytical capability of the
software and provide a way to build more upon them.

I think I would go by popular vote from the other developers here.

Kindly help me decide in which direction to go, so I can apply.

[1] http://hub.qgis.org/wiki/quantum-gis/Google_Summer_of_Code_2012
[2] http://www.arunmozhi.in/category/tech/qgis/
[3]
http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-developer/2012-February/018441.html