[Qgis-developer] direct mdb read in QGis?

haubourg regis.haubourg at eau-adour-garonne.fr
Tue Mar 20 12:30:23 EDT 2012

Hi all,
For my own use, I access mdb's through ODBC access and it works fine. It is
not quite user-friendly since you first have to define a user or system dsn
and then fill the connection form in qgis.
Bigger problem for me, I deployed QGis on 5 Citrix servers (300 users), and
user-defined-DSN's are disabled for security reasons.. Access to the MS DSN
manager is locked too..
*So I have no way to allow qgis users to read MS Access mdb's. *

I have seen that OGR 1.9 allows optionnal direct access connections:
http://www.gdal.org/ogr/drv_mdb.html http://www.gdal.org/ogr/drv_mdb.html .

So, my question: Is it reasonnable (technically) to ask for direct access to
mdb's databases in Qgis? Is it hard work or not? Do we need to use Java
Jackcess library as mentionned in OGR doc?  Is it an OGR issue instead of
Qgis?

I would be pleased to know if I'm alone with this concern.. thanks for your
feedbacks

/NB:  I do want classical access to non geographical tables and not esri's
mdb layers. /