[Qgis-developer] RE: ECW!!!

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Fri Mar 23 13:32:28 EDT 2012

Selon Fred ETHEVE <fred.etheve at wanadoo.fr>:

> Hi,
> May we develop an Opensource .ECW, for example .OCW, with sources of
> epsilon!?

Well, you might just start by testing the files produced by Epsilon before
inventing a new format ;-) As far as the ECW format itself, I don't think there
will be an opensource implementation for the decoder because the format is
non-documented, and even if it was documented, there are a few patents floating
around which might prevent implementing it in countries allowing software
patents (USA...)

> Because working with larges rasters as 100 000 x 100 000 is now current, and
> it's not easy to manipulate .TIF > 30 Go!

You can try TIF with JPEG compression to reduce the size a bit, or use JPEG2000
that begins to have viable OpenSource implementations, like OpenJPEG, although
still significantly slower than proprietary implementations.