[Qgis-developer] QGIS + Inkscape

Brylie Oxley brylie at gnumedia.org
Tue Mar 27 12:31:17 EDT 2012

On 03/26/2012 03:53 AM, Fred ETHEVE wrote:

> Hi, Brylie, hi all,
>
> OK, the ideal would be to have soon an Inkscape into composer
> (beautifull, this composer !)
>
> But I think, now, that we need to export TOC and layers into a
> professional soft, as Inkscape : it is the way for my students
>
> Because, professional map editors want (adobe) postscript files, and
> SVG is an Adobe format

SVG is a World Wide Web Consortium standard.

Adobe and other private corporations (ESRI, Microsoft, etc.) are
occupying our educational institutions and I refuse to support them.
This project is intended to build on and integrate excellent tools as an
/alternative/ to closed source tools that privatize wealth/mind share
and are the current norm.

Inkscape is a viable tool and deserves consideration and promotion.

> So, I work to contribute to SVG plugin of Richard Duivenvoorde

It seems like the SVG plugin is a good place to focus. Thank you for
your suggestion.

> I've worked on transparencies, scales...
>
> We may work together?

I would very much appreciate working with you Fred. :-) We should,
perhaps, start a public wiki page regarding this project, on the OSGeo
wiki.