[Qgis-developer] Fwd: Threads in sextante

Camilo Polymeris cpolymeris at gmail.com
Wed May 16 09:56:20 PDT 2012

On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 5:13 PM, Victor Olaya <volayaf at gmail.com> wrote:
> Here is my opinion on all that, in short:
>
> -The main idea of using threads is not now to execute multiplep
> algorithms at the same time, so we can remove a lot of complexity
> (like 2 processes writing the same file, as it was mentioned)
>
> -Implementing a canceling mechanism is going to be the greatest
> improvement once we have the threading stuff
>
> -So, for me, this is what should be done:
>
>  1)implementing the threading part
>  2) implement the cancelling mechanism (a responsive cancel button, etc)
>  3) modifying algorithm to respond to cancellin events.

That sums it up, I think. One main QThread for the GUI stuff + one for
the analysis, controlling the later by mean of signals.
Aditionally using QProcess (or not) is something that can be decided
on a backend-by-backend basis -- potentially some of the backends will
use direct APIs or remote connections, not commandline programs.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Regards,
Camilo