AW: [Qgis-developer] Library linking problems when release changes - eg. 1.9 --> 1.8

Matthias Kuhn matthias.kuhn at gmx.ch
Sat May 26 02:30:10 PDT 2012

Hi,

To my understanding, the folder /usr/local is to be used for locally
compiled programs and is therefore not set by default by distributions.

That qgis is installed into this folder is defined by
CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX which defaults to /usr/local but can easily be
replaced with /usr so it will work without changing the default path. If
you are releasing a package, that's the way to go.

On your development machine you might want to run a stock version of
qgis and a self-compiled one, so you don't want to install the second
ont into /usr as well. In this case you can either export
LD_LIBRARY_PATH (include in .bash_profile to set it automatically) or
you can add the path it in /etc/ld.so.conf (add a file
to /etc/ld.so.conf.d if supported by your distro).

Regards,
Matthias