[Qgis-developer] Logo redesign - was: Re: Webpage

Mathieu Pellerin nirvn.asia at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 02:29:53 PST 2012

Andreas,

Thanks for pointing out the SVG. It's however, and strangely : ), not the
vector version of the most wildly used iteration of the QGIS logo (that is
http://qgis.org/templates/qgis/images/blue/logo.png). The latter is used
for the application shortcut / launcher, the website header's logo, etc.

Allow me to try and answer - based on the concrete proposal referred to in
this thread - some of the questions you've raised, while recognizing that
ultimately, art is fundamentally subjective.

** What exactly is not professionally looking about the current logo?
please be precise about it - no general complaints without concrete
proposals and criticism.*
First, I think that the complaints surrounding lack of professionally
looking logo / brand for QGIS is due to two main factors:
i) the presence, in all aspects of the QGIS project, of several logos that
are all slightly different from each other (look at qgis.org's homepage,
two different logos within 10 cm of one another); and more importantly
ii) the absence of high resolution raster logos used throughout the QGIS
project (from user manual, to application shortcuts / launchers on OS X and
Linux, and to a lesser extend windows)

I believe fixing the above points, with whatever logo being used, would
already greatly help improve the situation. As for the currently most used
logo (http://qgis.org/templates/qgis/images/blue/logo.png) and the SVG
you've pointed out, I believe the main technical issue is the lack of
subtlety in its use of basic filters (namely outer glow and emboss), which
IMO leads to the "not professionally looking" argument. I did a quick
comparison based on the SVG you've referred to to illustrate this point,
see http://licadho-cambodia.org/qgis_proposal/point.png

* * Who decides what professionally looking means and what are the criteria?
*
Indeed, many aspects of art / design is in subjective, and I guess that's
at the essence of the passions surrounding discussing the logo :)

* * How important is the brand recognition from the old logo?*
I think your raising a good objective point here. Then again, if a majority
feels like a change would be a net benefit to the project, might be good to
look at it sooner than later. A major 2.0 milestone is a good excuse for
this too.

Hope that was a respectful reply.