[Qgis-developer] Get rid of Shapefiles ! Go SpatiaLite !

Andrea Peri aperi2007 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 09:37:19 PST 2012

>Hi Stefan,
>I think QGIS users are more likely to seek interoperability with other systems than ESRI users. So making ESRI work with QGIS via SpatialLite is probably not something that offers ESRI >users much benefit, they'll probably be using ESRI file geodatabases instead.
>I believe QGIS will achieve more traction by working well with Arc,and seamlessly within an Arc environment, than the other way around. So while I have no problem with enhanced support for >SpatiaLite for QGIS (& Arc), this should not be at the expense of shapefile support.

Hi,
Try-ing to supporto esri arcgis will introduce other and bigger problems.

We have many trouble due to the convention of esri for the hole that
are touching the boundary of a polygon.

The esri product will trasform this in a not OGC compatibile structure.
That on a OGC system is defined Invalid.
So when a dataset with hole is touched from a esri arcgis it could
became invalid for OGC.

This is so a problem for us that we fund a change to postgis to have a
ST_IsValid with a flag for compatibily with esri gemetries.

QGIS is absolutely unuseful try to follow Arcgis if QGIS himself also
don't support this different structure of polygons with hole on
boundaries.