[Qgis-developer] Merging of incompatible changes

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Wed Oct 24 07:13:34 PDT 2012

 Hi Pirmin and others,

 Tim should correct me - but as far as I remember we said that threading
 support is one of the major things we want to see in QGIS 2.0 (along
 with raster redesign, atlas printing and others). But none of us were
 sure in what timeframe Martin can work on it and when it will be
 finished. Therefore we decided not to make it a blocker.

 We also decided that the geometry refactoring (for arcs, splines,
 z-values, m-values, multitype geometries, etc.) should be done after
 QGIS 2.0. I am not sure if this would again mean API breaks ...

 So I am against postponing the multithreading work and I had the
 impression that this was the conclusion of others as well.

 Andreas

 On Tue, 23 Oct 2012 22:58:25 +0200, Pirmin Kalberer wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> Am Montag, 22. Oktober 2012, 21.17:20 schrieb Martin Dobias:
>>
>> recently I have been brewing some backwards incompatible API changes
>> that will 1) enable introduction of threading, 2) simplify API for
>> developers. I would like to merge the changes soon to master branch
>> in
>> order not to drift too much from master.
>
> -1 from me.
> This is against the release plan we agreed on the hackfest.
>
> IMHO, current master can be a great 2.0 release with many new
> features in a
> few months.
> Your additions are the begin of the next level - an even greater 3.0
> release.
>
> So I would strongly prefer to have these changes in a
> "plugin-ng"-branch
> instead of starting a "frozen" 1.9 branch.
>
> Regards
> Pirmin

 Andreas Neumann
 Böschacherstrasse 10A