[Qgis-developer] Custom CRS handling

Leyan ouyang.leyan.ml at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 26 23:52:06 PDT 2012

Hi developers,

I am a heavy user of custom CRS (not by choice !)and the current custom
CRS definition dialog is not very intuitivein my opinion, so I started
to work on it to replace it with a new versionallowing to:
* see the list of custom CRS (instead of browsing them one by one)
* copy an existing CRS to a new custom one (custom CRS are mostly based
on standard ones with some modified parameters)
* use the dialog OK or cancel buttons to save the modifications instead
of having to saveeach modification
* use functions taken from the QgsCoordinateReferenceSystem class to
improve validity checks and maybe later allow other syntax than proj4
* I think it would allow me later to remove the warning about different
CRS I get from some tools when I use the same CRS but with different
proj4 strings.

However, I realized the QgsCoordinateReferenceSystem::createFromProj4()
function always checks the CRS database and adds the CRS to it if it is
not present already, with an automatic name "Generated CRS". This means
I cannot use it to manipulate any CRS not yet saved in the database.

Do you think it would be a good idea to separate the creation of the CRS
object and the saving to the database ? Was there any special reason to
join both?

Regards,

Leyan