[Qgis-developer] symbology-ng-style.db and symbology-ng-style.xml

aruntheguy at gmail.com aruntheguy at gmail.com
Sat Apr 13 00:14:33 PDT 2013

Hello,

I would like to clarify a bit about the presence of XML, SQlite and the
Python script.

The XML was a the version 1 way of storing the symbols. It had a plain list
of symbols and color maps. In order to include grouping and
tagging functionality in the symbol management  the symbols were moved to
the SQLite DB. The "Python Script" was used to carryout the conversion and
create the required tables for grouping & tagging information.

On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 4:09 PM, Borys Jurgiel <lists at borysjurgiel.pl>
 wrote:

> Dnia piątek, 12 kwietnia 2013 o 11:36:10 Jürgen E. Fischer napisał(a):

> Can we be sure that only the xml file gets edited or do we need a
>
> > xml2db_symbol.py to avoid loosing updates?
> >

> > Jürgen
>
> Currently xml2db_symbol.py needs to remove the existing db file, because it
> only can INSERT and not UPDATE records. Of course we can't be sure, so we
> could at least implement UPDATE to avoid removing the records existing
> only in
> db file, but I can't imagine how to avoid overwritting more recent records
> with
> older xml data. I don't know if it's worth the effort while it's all in
> git.

Once compiled and installed, the user directory only has the SQlite and not
the XML. If you find one, it is the artifact of changing from older to
newer implementation. You are safe to remove the XML file.

However, if you already have a large number of personally created symbols
in the XML, you can,

1. use the script to recreate the SQlite manually and replace the SQlite in
the user directory. Kindly note this is required ONLY ONCE. After which any
changes to symbols you make through QGIS will refelect on the SQLITE ALONE
and NOT on the XML.

2. Simply goto Import/Export options in the Symbol Manager, Click Import ->
Select the XML file in your User directory and import all the symbols. This
transfers the things in XML into the SQLite file and any edits thereafter
reflects on the SQlite ONLY.

Kindly post if you need more clarification.

Arunmozhi