[Qgis-developer] WMS Server plugin

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Tue Apr 16 01:02:49 PDT 2013

On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 6:55 AM, Marco Hugentobler
<marco.hugentobler at sourcepole.ch> wrote:
> Hi Barry
>
> You can use the QGIS cloud plugin to publish web maps without having
> apache / fcgi server installed on the local machine.

 That's just adding a bit more complexity again...

 I think the best solution to my use case would be to find a very
lightweight web-fcgi server (I think they exist) and to run that with
the qgis fcgi server backending it. Then I can be editing my project
in qgis, saving, then doing WMS queries from another application via
that server. I was originally hoping the WMS queries could go straight
to my running desktop QGIS, which would save having to run two
instances of QGIS at once.

 My use-case is that of auto-generating map images into report files,
dynamically based on data. There are report-writing systems for R and
Python that allow embedding of code and graphics created by the code
(see knitr, Pweave). I want to be able to put qgis map images in my
report such that if I get new data I can just re-process the report
and get an updated PDF out.

 another way may be to embed a qgis standalone instance in python code
in the document which creates a qgis map canvas and renders an image
from that...

Barry