[Qgis-developer] Icon theme update

Tim Sutton lists at linfiniti.com
Tue Apr 16 05:14:22 PDT 2013

Hi

On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 6:24 PM, Larry Shaffer <larrys at dakotacarto.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Since adding back the old default as a 'classic' theme choice is fairly
> straightforward, only taking about an hour to do, I suggest the following:
> It isn't done for a couple of weeks.
>
> Here's my reasoning. If we are all looking at only the new default theme and
> helping develop that into a complete and cohesive look for 2.0, then those
> who are working on it will benefit greatly by the entire dev community's
> focus.
>
> I also think Robert's and other's reworking of the default icon set to
> address color and useability concerns needs the full focus and support of
> the community for it to have a good chance at success. If right before GUI
> freeze (~ 2 weeks), the new theme is assessed and there is still a
> consensus, or maybe a vote, that there should be a second project-supported
> choice, then the 'classic' theme can readily be put back in.
>
> Please let me know what you think of that approach.

My 2c. I was also hesitant about switching to the new GIS theme - I
have ~ten years of using the old theme so it was hard to make the
switch. However the last few months I have been using exclusively the
GIS theme and I must say you will get used to it and start to
appreciate it for its visual consistency. I think there are a lot of
benefits to having only one theme - some of which Larry had described
above. Also we will have less 'stuff' in our source tree, QGIS will be
readily identifyable in screenshots, screencasts and publications etc
- it will go a long way to creating a unified image and brand for our
project.

Sure I would like the colours on the icons to be a little brighter and
there are probably other things that can be improved, but I think
having one officially maintained and supported icon set makes a lot of
sense.

Regards

Tim

> Regards,
>
> Larry
>

> On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 2:18 AM, Nathan Woodrow <madmanwoo at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Don't be sorry, everyone's opinion should be heard. I have mixed
>> feelings, the old theme seems to kidish but the new one is too gray.
>> Now is a good time to look at which icons are causing the most issues
>> and revamp them.
>>
>> Sent from some fancy phone looking thingo

 * QGIS programming and support services
 * FOSS Consulting Services
Skype: timlinux
Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net