[Qgis-developer] Icon theme update

vinayan vinayan123 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 16 05:59:30 PDT 2013

Hi,

Any discussions on colors,icons etc always generate a lot of heat. I hope I
am not being offensive to anyone here.

Personally, I liked the old classic theme and would prefer it to have as an
alternate option. Anyway, putting my disappointment aside, I have started
getting accustomed to the new theme. Here are my thoughts/comments about
some icons from 'gis' theme.

 - pan map, pan map to selection - most apps associate 'hand' icon to
pan..so first time qgis users(having already used other graphics apps) would
find it handy..
 - rotate feature(s) - both icons(classic and gis) are poor. In the gis
icon, the rotation part near the corner is too small to see. Classic icon
was contributed by me..no comments ;)
 - move feature(s) - most apps have icons similar to the classic theme
 - zoom last, zoom next - The left and right arrows are better inside the
magnifying glass as in the classic theme. Also I like how the handles of
glasses in classic theme are symmetrically placed about y-axis making the
two icons complementary
 - Node Tool - very complicated icon in gis theme..only a single point is
shown. If multiple vertices were present in icon, it would be better
 - All Icons in the add layer toolbar - the icons are good..it would be
great if some bright colors can be used for all these icons instead of the
lighter grey for better distinguishing

hope others come up with better suggestions to make the 'gis' theme better.

Thanks
Vinayan