[Qgis-developer] Updating core plugins

Borys Jurgiel lists at borysjurgiel.pl
Tue Apr 23 03:53:05 PDT 2013

Dnia poniedziałek, 22 kwietnia 2013 o 12:49:11 Victor Olaya napisał(a):
> I didn't know about that qgis2 folder, but sounds like a good thing,
> and will solve the main problem that I was worried about.
>
> Once 2.0 is out, I can release new versions of SEXTANTE, and also
> release them when a new QGIS version is released, so people using a
> non-core version (a version that is not the one that comes with QGIS)
> can also update.

Althought there is nothing wrong in the non-core plugins overriding the core
ones, it's always cleaner and clearer if they are installed only when
necessary. So personally I prefer to keep the non-core version number always a
bit lower then the core one, so after QGIS upgrade the installer will rather
warn and remove the obsolete update, instead of updating it with the recent
update ;)

> It seems that you have been thinking about this already, so I guess
> that it will not be hard to keep a separate release schedule in case
> there are new features in SEXTANTE that would be good to publish
> without waiting for a new QGIS release.

Exactly. It's what I called "necessary" in the paragraph above.

> Great work Borys! Seems that the early morning trips while at the
> Hackfest really worked out ;-)

This behaviour is present for years. The only addition still to be made for
2.0 is removing the obsolete updates (now it only warns and suggests to do it
manually).