[Qgis-developer] The new installer

Tim Sutton tim at linfiniti.com
Mon Apr 29 23:37:51 PDT 2013

Hi Denis

On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 7:54 AM, Denis Rouzaud <denis.rouzaud at gmail.com>wrote:

>  Well, I like the idea of having everything grouped.
>
> For example in pyCharm everything is in one dialog: application and
> project settings. And you can search for anything in a search bar.
>
> If the left panels can be nested (as suggested previously), I would even
> consider integrating the project settings in the main settings.
>
> I would leave them directly accessible from menus of course, but just as
> shortcuts leading to the main dialog but with the right panel open.
>
> You then would have everything accessible at one place.

I'm a heavy pycharm user but I find their settings implementation
completely overwhelming. Even with the search functionality I can never
find particular settings easily. Given that experience, it makes more sense
to me if we keep options close the thing that is being configured (i.e. as
per current plugin implementation).

Regards

Tim

> On 04/30/2013 07:46 AM, Nathan Woodrow wrote:
>

> On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 3:19 PM, Denis Rouzaud <denis.rouzaud at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Do you think it could be interesting to integrate this also in the
>> settings dialog? If the left panel can be integrated as a tree widget item
>> in the panel of the settings dialog (as I just proposed for the labelling).
>

> Not sure I follow that.  Why would you want plugins in the settings
> dialog?
>
>  - Nathan

 * QGIS programming services
 * GeoDjango web development