[Qgis-developer] How to deal with plugins which are not useful for users (e.g. Hello world)

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Tue Dec 31 01:28:37 PST 2013

On 31-12-13 08:44, Alessandro Pasotti wrote:
> 2013/12/31 Bob and Deb <bobdebm at gmail.com <mailto:bobdebm at gmail.com>>
>     Maybe what is needed is a checkbox for programmer related plugins
>     such as Plugin Builder, Plugin Reloader, ScriptRunner and
>     HelloWorld?  One another idea is to integrate HelloWorld into Plugin
>     Builder?
>
> yes, this is a solution, I feel that with over 6000 downloads it is
> probably useful for somebody to study how a minimal plugin does work.
>
> But HelloWorld is also used as a test plugin for the plugin repository:
>
> https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Django/tree/master/qgis-app/plugins/tests/HelloWorld
>
> I collected a lot of HelloWorld versions that I use to test version
> conflicts, metadata parsing, UTF8 support and a lot of other errors that
> appeared in the past.
>
> But I'm fine to leave it unpublished, I can re-publish it when testing.

I second Alessandro that HelloWorld plugin has it's place, next to
Plugin Builder.

While HelloWorld is a really minimal plugin (as minimal as possible),
really usefull to make your first plugin. The Plugin Builder is already
pretty complex for a newby (because working with Makefile, translation,
documentation etc etc).

Both have there merits I think. As long as it is clear from the
description that HelloWorld is a test/dev plugin without real purpose, I
think it should be available to all.

By the way, Alessandro the plugin isn't unpublished currently.

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde