[Qgis-developer] Possible benthic photo analysis QGIS application/plugin

pcreso at pcreso.com pcreso at pcreso.com
Sun Mar 3 19:38:08 PST 2013

Hi,

I'm hoping to kick off a discussion on a possible new QGIS plugin, which may be more appropriate as a new dedicated application based on QGIS. I'd like to discuss it with any interested developers.

The program is intended to enable users to record observations from a video.

This is both live video feeds from a mobile underwater camera, and post capture from a recording.

We have real time data, including GPS via TCP ports.
The tool displays a high resolution seabed bathymetry hillshade raster as the background (from our on board multibeam system)
It receives real time "Video on, video off, still taken, platform location" data via the LAN.
The user is to be able to quickly record observations of substrate, morphology, anthropogenic features, animals, plants, etc. Each observation is timestamped & point stamped.
The trackline represented by the points can be splined to a best fit linestring (in 5km of water, positional accuracy is not that good)
Recorded observations can be assigned new (additional) positions fitted to the spline.
Multiple runs of the same video by different or the same user are supported.
Embed a video controller capability for post capture (as opposed to real time) operation.

I figure a SpatialLite db, with a taxonomic database, including substrates & other types of observations would be adequate & convenient.

The UI would allow users to set up a pick list of the most likely observations, assigned to buttons, so the top 20 (say) are a simple click, without searching or keyboard use.

The application has a spatial component, hence QGIS as the enabling tool, but has a significant non-spatial requirement .

If anyone is interested in discussing or undertaking such a development, please let me know.

Cheers,

  Brent Wood