[Qgis-developer] Labeling of starts and ends of a line

Larry Shaffer larrys at dakotacarto.com
Tue Mar 5 12:16:21 PST 2013

Hi,

I have an idea concerning this that was originally cooked up for an
approach to doing multi-line curved labels [0]. I refer to them as 'label
anchors,' which would be for line and polygon features (though they could
be handy for point features). The concept is roughly like so:

* An anchor point is sent into PAL that constrains where a single label
candidate is generated. The point could be data defined or a reference to a
calculate-able point, e.g. midpoint, beginning/end, leftmost/rightmost,
nearest point on on line relative to off-line point, point furthest from
extent center, etc..

* With data defined anchors, a map tool could be made that allows the user
to visualize and dynamically move the anchor along a line or even place the
anchor off the line (e.g., over a nearby related feature, like a
building-to-street relationship). This would allow data defined curved
labels to work like moving text along a path in an illustration program,
and allow for precise control over label placement along a line without
forcing full pinning of the label.

* Additional options could be weighting the above/below line labeling
option (for off-line anchors), and quadrant and offset placement of the
label relative to anchor.

There may be other advantages to sending controllable label anchor points
into PAL. This is different than data defined x/y, which totally skips
chosen placement algorithms and essentially treats the feature geometry as
a point. Right now it is just conceptual, and I'd like to hear some
feedback.

Regards,

Larry

[0] http://hub.qgis.org/issues/4442