[Qgis-developer] Tiled web maps in QGIS

Jochen Topf jochen at remote.org
Mon Mar 11 09:45:14 PDT 2013

On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 05:20:12PM +0100, Andre Joost wrote:
> >And it seems it only works with the original Mercator
> >projection of the tiles not with other projections.
>
> Thats true, but reprojecting tiles individually looks rather bad.
> You have to load all tiles, mosaic them together, and then reproject
> the result. But this may take too long.

It actually works quite well with the GDAL-WMS provider/my plugin. Tiles are
cached so after a while only the reprojection needs to be done and it is
amazingly fast. Of course that depends on what projection you are using.
Of course the projected raster tiles still look rather bad, but you get
what you pay for. :-)

Jochen