[Qgis-developer] ECW!!!

Vincent Picavet vincent.ml at oslandia.com
Fri Mar 15 03:14:56 PDT 2013

Hi,

> I have to tried to install the latest versions of the ECW plug-in without
> much success.
>
> It is imperative that we have an ECW plug-in that is easy to install,
> bug-free, and does what it does in ArcGIS.

You are free to sponsor the development and maintainance of such a tool.
You are free as well to pay for the ECW licence.
You are free to put pressure on ERDAS for them to make ECW available as
opensource and allow its distribution
You are free to explain to your data provider that offering data in proprietary
formats is a bad idea
You are free to finance a new open wavelet compression format

> I can understand Fred's frustration. Let's see a new plugin in OSGEO4W
> sooner than later.

It's up to you then.

v.