[Qgis-developer] [Ubuntu] Question on QGIS Build and SIP

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Sat Nov 23 08:38:13 PST 2013

On 11/23/2013 07:58 AM, Randal Hale wrote:
> I'm not entirely sure where this should go - but I see this one as more
> of a ubuntu question than a QGIS developer...or maybe it's both so I've
> cross posted.
>
> To learn a bit more - I've compiled (checkinstall)
> gdal/ogr/geos/proj/grass/postgis (not in that order) and for the final
> proof I'm insane - QGIS 2.0.1. I'm compiling on ubuntu 13.10 - there's
> one error that keeps flaring up:
>
> CMake Error at cmake/FindSIP.cmake:54 (MESSAGE):
>   Could not find SIP
> Call Stack (most recent call first):
>   CMakeLists.txt:550 (FIND_PACKAGE)
>
> I've installed the package I thought installed SIP - and apparently I
> didn't....I think it's python-qt4-dev but I've went a bit crosseyed with
> my note taking.

You can always do:
sudo apt-get build-dep qgis
Which reads the qgis package for dependencies on an ubuntu/debian system
and installs all the perquisites.

Of course on 13.10 some of these might be older versions, so you can
also add the qgis.org repo briefly to get the updated dependency list
(probably the same).

Then you can always look at the package control files:
https://launchpad.net/~ubuntugis/+archive/ubuntugis-unstable/+files/qgis_2.0.1-1%7Eraring1.debian.tar.gz
Look at the file called control. It lists the packages needed.
You're probably missing:
python-sip
python-sip-dev

FYI, Jerome said he's updating Ubuntugis for Saucy this weekend.

Thanks,
Alex