[Qgis-developer] Master branch splash screen

Anita Graser anitagraser at gmx.at
Sun Sep 8 01:56:11 PDT 2013

Hi Larry,

Am 07.09.2013, 19:29 Uhr, schrieb Larry Shaffer <larrys at dakotacarto.com>:
> On Sat, Sep 7, 2013 at 2:26 AM, Anita Graser <anitagraser at gmx.at> wrote:
>> next try: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.**com/u/42637169/qgis21_**
>> 1generic.png<https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/42637169/qgis21_1generic.png>
>> now in green with "dev" instead of "2.1" :)
>
> I like the layout and color selection. Not sure I understand the leaf (?)
> background, though QGIS is used quite a bit for forestry and
> bio-sciences.

I just like the colors. It will only be used for a couple of days, and
there are a lot of other things that still requrire attention before the
Hackfest and FOSS4G, so I think I'll leave it.

> Just a thought: maybe instead try a bunch of translucent icons (new icons
> for add layers?) floating/swirling around. I realize this is just an
> interim splash, but could be something like that might make a good
> graphic
> for the web site as well. That really is one of QGIS strongest core
> features: its ability to work with so many providers, both open and
> proprietary. Plus those new layer icons look good.

Sorry, I don't think I can pull that off.

> If the new group photo is similar to the last two (a row or two of
> faces),
> then the use of both dev and master words in the layout means dev may
> cover
> some faces. 'Master' is really from git nomenclature, while dev is
> probably
> more commonly understood. So, I suggest just removing master and lowering
> dev to make more room for the photo. Maybe try dev in the master's
> yellow,
> then.

Once we have some photos to chose from, I'm sure we'll find a way to make
a decent splash. I'm not emotionally invested in either "master" or "dev"
use. If we need the space, I'll happily get rid of "master".

Best wishes,
Anita